What is Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Young Deaf people considering going to University may not really know where to start…..choosing the right course, choosing the University, leaving home for maybe the first time and on top of that – wondering how you will arrange BSL/English Interpreter and Notetaker support?  Here is where Disabled Student Allowance can help.

So what is Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)?

Well, terptree is here to help! Here is our no-nonsense guide to Disabled Students Allowance (DSA), the grant available to cover communication support for study in Higher Education.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is a form of benefit available to Deaf students in higher education. This includes university degree courses and postgraduate qualifications. You can apply for DSA for support if you are classed as disabled. This includes Deaf people who might need an interpreter or a note taker and blind people who may need special speech-to-text software or support for students with dyslexia.

What does it pay for?

DSA can be used for special computer software, note takers, lip speakers and British Sign Language/English interpreters. It may also be used for equipment if this has been agreed upon in your assessment.

How much can you get?

The maximum Disabled Student Allowance for deaf university students is £25,575 a year, including interpreters, note-takers and special equipment. It is not available for further education students, such as students aged 16 and above studying at colleges. For college students, the college is responsible for organising and paying for support students. If you are at college, talk to your Disability or Access Officer to find out more.

How do you apply for DSA?

Talk to your Disability Adviser at your university or college. Ask them if you can apply. They can help you to fill out a form called DSA1. They might be able to tell you how to apply for other money to help with your study too.

For further information, click on this link to go to the gov.uk website.